Time to Get Mindful?
Mindfulness seems to be trending these days and perhaps it's very poignant given so much distraction temptation in our lives (Facebook, YouTube, texting, email, gaming). Today's episode describes how Mindful Rights and Lefts can help you get and stay mindful.
1. Which hand did you use to press play on this episode?
2. Which hand did you use to get toothpaste onto your toothbrush this morning?
3. Which hand did you open the fridge door with?
4. Which arm goes through a sleeve first when you put a shirt on?
5. Which foot goes in first when you take a bath or shower?
6. Which foot goes first when you walk through a door?
7. Which foot do you use when opening a step trash can?
Eckhart Tolle says “Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have. Make the now the primary focus of your life.”
Mindfulness is about being in the moment, being fully present in the moment. This isn’t always easy when we’re ruminating about the past or worrying about the future.
Today’s actionable tip has three levels. It’s totally up to you which level you want to take action on.
Level 1 Action: Notice
This is noticing with hand or foot, arm or leg you use to complete a task.
Pick a day and as you go through the day, notice which side of your body you're using to complete tasks you do every day.
1. Notice which foot goes into your shoe first.
2. Notice which hand you use to open your laptop.
3. Notice which hand you use to turn on or off the lights.
4. Notice which hand you use to brush your teeth.
5. Notice which hand you use to turn on the faucet.
6. Notice which hand you use to get soap from the soap dispenser.
7. Notice which hand you use to pick up your smartphone.
Level 2 Action: Switch
This is switching to the side of your body you don't normally use for a particular task.
Example: if you normally use your left hand to put toothpaste on your toothbrush. Now use your right hand.
Of course, let's keep this reasonable and not chop vegetables with our non-dominant hand.
It's a bonus that by doing this you're keep your brain sharp, which will benefit you particularly as you get older.
Level 3 Action: Assign
This is picking a side where for the entire day, this will be the side that “goes first” for every task.
Example: if you choose your left side, then your left foot will be the first foot to slip into your clothes and shoes. It'll also be first foot to go through a door and to take the first step on a flight of stairs, whether you're going up or down.
And it'll be your left hand that turns on the water, picks up the remote, opens doors, and opens the file cabinet…and picks up your keys, combs your hair or your left foot to get on an elevator.
In other words
Level 1 is “Oh yeah, which foot am I using now?”
Level 2 is “Okay, instead of my left hand, I'll go with my right hand.”
Level 3 is “Uh, right hand only today”
The more we practice being conscious of the moment, the easier it will be to be present in the moment.
Episode Announcement: I will be publishing new content every week on Sundays.
We just started a Facebook Group! Join Us Today!
Loving the Podcast?
Ways to Show Your Love
1. Leave a Rating or a Rating and Review at AffirmationPod.com/ApplePodcasts
2. Purchase the Reflection Workbook at AffirmationPod.com/Workbook