Actionable Tip – Small Wins
This month’s theme is Pivots and you can get the free worksheet at AffirmationPod.com/Pivot
Change is hard.
No surprise there. Change interrupts us. It disrupts the system our brain is used to executing. It interrupts our habits, our behaviors, our thoughts, our nervous system…and the list goes on and on. Some of us experience a wake up call. Surviving a heart attack can lead to changes in exercise habits. In this episode I share about an elementary school principal who bought a high end treadmill after his heart attack and a psychologist/professor who started biking again and taking biking trips with his wife. Hopefully we don't need to go through something like a heart attack to precipitate change.
It's never enough.
We often find ourselves wanting a change and then with thoughts of there's never enough time, never enough motivation, never enough energy, money, willpower, skills, support…never enough of what it takes to make a lasting change. That's where small wins comes in. They can help because they are quick, easy and help us gain confidence. But they also have us practicing – on a very small scale – the new behavior we want.
Examples of Small Wins
- taking one flight of stairs and the elevator the rest of the way
- going to bed 10 minutes earlier
- ordering a small size beverage instead of a medium or large
- doing one pushup before checking your smartphone
- putting $5 in the bank every week or month
Examples of my Small Wins
- taking 10 deep breaths with my daughter before she goes to bed (this helped inspire the 10 Deep Breaths Episode)
- stretching in between pushing my daughter on the swing at the park
- doing calf stretches when in an elevator
The “be you: warts, weirdness, and all” quote I mentioned comes from Tim Ferris in this blog post.
Want More? Download the App!
Feel better, stronger and more confident with the Affirmation Pod App! This episode is in the category “Confidence and Personal Development”
The AP Access app is where you can easily mark your favorite affirmations, make your own playlist, download to listen offline and a whole lot more!
It's also where you can sign up for premium access, which gives you all episodes with no ads and no announcements plus bonus content you won’t find on the podcast. Download the App at AffirmationPodApp.com!